Saturday, March 9, 2019

Back from Florida Wildlife Adventure

Hello, Five Girl Farm’ers!  Terry and I just got back from a road trip to Florida. It was perfect timing as winter has been particularly frigid/snowy this year in Kansas. We traveled down the Eastern seaboard all the the way to the Keys and then back up the Western Gulf side. Funny, the weather was unseasonably warm - - so I was sweaty, salty, greasy for most of the trip. Sounds like I’m complaining, but not really. Just a huge change. ☺️

I’m definitely “in” for Costa Rica, too; WE, I should say. Now, we’re excited about all the tropical  birds that we’ll see in CR. The Florida wading birds were a real treat and I have a bajillion pics to prove it. Any kind of nature is the draw for me. On our many visits to FL’s Wildlife Reuges, we were always rewarded, surprised, and delighted by some “find.”  The highlight of the trip was seeing a Manatee come cruising down the Crystal Springs River, following behind two kayakers. Surprise!

Funny: when we were at the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area, literally down a dead end road - binoculars in hand looking for birds - a car pulled up beside us. The driver asked, “Is this the way to the 80-acre distillery?”  I cackled out loud because I thought he was pulling my leg. But no, he was serious. After he left, Terry said “...maybe he misunderstood what *wildlife* meant...”. We had been to Key West and South Beach Miami and definitely had seen all kinds of wild-life. We’ve been cracking up about that ever since.

Debi, do keep me posted on your Austin trip. Don’t know if it’s in the cards, but I can certainly check it out.

Karen, thanks for all your good leadership on our CR trip!  Really looking forward to it.  Regarding your Fall trip, Yellowstone National Park is awesome. One of the best/weirdest places on on planet earth.

Peggy, how can you be 70?  Time has just flown by. In my mind’s eye, we are still all young and perky. Now we’re well-seasoned, and well, still perky!

 Luv to you all,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment