Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Memories of 5 Girl Farm


Memories of 5 Girl Farm
Wow, can’t believe I am here with all of you at this time. I am so grateful to have you in my life.
It was a simpler time, for sure in 1980, I was newly divorced and looking for a place to share with some gals and wow, did we find a great place on some land, with a pool!!!  I think I found the house in a classified ad in the Statesman, and showed it to Nicki. And we figured out if we all split it 5 ways, then we could share the house and it could be a great place.  Well, it did turn out to be a place we could share, laugh, cook, dance, sing and party.  I think we even tried gardening in a small plot, but not much came of that….
I often remember looking forward to the weekends, when we could have meals together and outdoor fun, when the weather was fine in Austin.  So much good times with outdoor cooking, swimming, and the outdoor sport court. Remember inviting so many people out to visit, too, it was an open door, that was for sure.
I do think that Westlake area was so cool back then, without all the shops, etc. We headed out Bee Caves to our little place of heaven.  I liked going to clubs and hearing music and then driving back to our house late at night.  Such a quiet and
cool place to be.  We had so many friends from the library and others who also came out to just  enjoy life.
I had my little Toyota Corolla (that Nicki taught me how to drive) and we all had different schedules of work, so it was a whirlwind at times.
We really did seem to gel, with all our time together.  I remember moving in and choosing our rooms (how did we do that?)   Getting unpacked and deciding our house rules, and shelves in the fridge.   
Do you remember when Debi and I were making New Year’s Hats, and using Airplane glue, and I believe we had inhaled a bit too much. Nicki found us laughing and giggly.
Didn’t we find some mice once, too, and there was an all out fight to find the little ones. 
Who remembers the Memorial Day 1981 flood weekend?  OMG…That was crazy, sitting in the kitchen and watching the water come up to almost the kitchen floor level. Whew, that was nuts. I know that Brad was with us, too, and he was so worried about his apt. off South Lamar, close to Strait Music store and Whole Foods. He was lucky the house was still there.
And of course, Bobby Arnold, what a character. He was sooo crazy at times, but always up for a laugh or a good meal.
I am still so in awe of all of you, that you were so giving and supportive at that time.  I needed support and a caring environment and that is what we had at 5 Girl Farm.  I was thinking the other day, that if I was given a bad health report, God Forbid, you all are the ladies I would call for comfort.   You have given me so much ---and even though the years have gone by; we share a special place in a special time, that can never be forgotten.
Spiritually, I am stronger and more in tune with my personal God. I don’t fear getting older, since I know that once I leave this earth, I will be in another place that is different but peaceful.
Love to you all!!  Karen

2 comments: