Sunday, April 22, 2018

It's Finally Getting Warmer . . .

It is finally getting warmer here in Chicago.  The temperature is supposed to go all the up to the mid-50s today and should not drop below 40 for the rest of the week.

Something that always makes me laugh when I come home to Austin for the holidays is how my sister-in-law always comes into my room at least once and asks me, "Are you sure you don't need an extra blanket tonight?  It's supposed to get down into the 50s."  I laugh every spring when the weather finally gets up to the 50s.

I don't believe I mentioned while we were all together that I joined the Divvy bike-sharing program about four years ago.  The relatively even streets (and NO HILLS to speak of) make for smooth riding and it is much better than a car or public transportation.  I joined some groups that do long rides on the weekends and decided I should get a bike of my own, which I did last year just after Thanksgiving.  I ride as much as I can all year long, unless it is snowing or sleeting or the wind chill drops below 0 (or the wind speed goes over 20mph).  But I have to admit it is a much nicer ride in spring and summer when the temperatures are higher and the sun is shining.

So the next time you picture me up here in Chicago, picture me on this:


This was taken right outside my apartment building the night I brought it home.  On the advice of other cyclists I have let it get  dirty so it doesn't look so nice and new enough to scream "Steal me somebody!"  I lock it well and so far I have been lucky . . .

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Debi! One of the things I'm going to love about our new neighborhood is all the hike and bike trails. I'm not as excited to be a road warrior fighting with traffic in town. Spring is peeking out all over -- Everything is a bloom! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago is especially bike friendly, Mary. Many of the larger streets have dedicated bike lanes and I avoid the ones that don't. And because the street layout is a grid, there are many side streets that I can use to avoid the really bad big ones.

    I am super proactive as well. I am not one of those who weaves in and out of traffic and I stop fully at red lights at the bigger intersections and wait for the light to turn green before I cross. I make lots of eye contact with drivers and pay attention to who has the right of way at stop signs. I try to be an ambassador for bikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bicycle riding, I would like to get one, too, but need to figure out where to store it, or maybe just buy a storage locker for it in the backyard. Will have to think about it before I make the plunge. So far, I love walking and most things are very close to my house.

    ReplyDelete